Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
Increasing gas prices affect everyone. The impact is especially significant for families whose livelihoods are dependent on driving to and from work. Although we may not see gas prices drop anytime soon, here are a few ways to help spend less on gas.
Coupons – They may be hard to find, but coupons do exist. Major grocery chains like Publix will offer a 20% discount on a $50 fill-up if you purchase $50 worth of groceries.
Use cash – It costs service stations money to accept credit cards. However, depending on the region, some gas stations will charge less per gallon to pay in cash.
Stay light – The more weight you carry, the more energy and fuel is needed to move your vehicle. So except for emergency gear, don't keep unnecessary items in your car.
Gas trackers – Organizations like AAA and even local news stations allow you to check gas prices in your area. Remember not to drive out of your way to get to the lowest price!
Map your drive – Planning your route ahead of time and avoiding backtracking will make your next journey fuel-efficient.
Efficient cooling – Park in the shade to make it easier to cool down your car. When driving, keep the windows up and the A/C as low as is comfortable.
Combine errands – Instead of running out every time you need something, schedule time once a week to complete all your errands at once.
Reward programs – Check your local gas station or credit card for rewards programs, offering a percentage back or gift card redemption.
Become a member – If you are fortunate to live near a Costco, Sam’s Club, or BJ’s Wholesale, it may be worth the membership in exchange for savings in fuel.
Check tire pressure – Ensure your tire pressure is set according to the manufacturer's recommendation. Improperly inflated tires can reduce gas mileage by as much as 3%.
Proper maintenance – If you have been putting off your scheduled maintenance, now is the time to schedule an appointment. Poor car maintenance can drop fuel efficiency by 5% or more.
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?