Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
It was at Eric Clapton’s house in 1969, when George Harrison wrote “Here Comes the Sun.” The now-famous song is a happy tune that puts a little pep in one’s step. But did you know there is a scientific reason why the sun can put a smile on your face?
Through sunlight, our skin naturally absorbs vitamin D, a nutrient our body needs for building bones and teeth. This important vitamin helps regulate our immune system, supports weight loss efforts, and influences our mood by reducing the risk of depression.
A study published in the journal Nutrition and Metabolism indicates that regular exercise is associated with higher vitamin D levels. As the summer sun shines bright, it's the perfect time to step outside and soak up some much-needed vitamin D through exercise such as:
Walking: Walking is a wonderful way to bask in the sunlight while getting your daily dose of exercise. Aim for at least 30 minutes of brisk walking most days of the week. Explore your neighborhood, local parks, or even nearby nature trails.
Running: If you're up for a more intense workout, running is an excellent choice. Lace up your running shoes and aim for at least 20 minutes of running most days of the week. Not only will you elevate your heart rate, but you'll also enjoy the benefits of increased vitamin D levels.
Biking: Biking is a low-impact exercise that provides an opportunity for both physical activity and vitamin D absorption. Aim for at least 30 minutes of biking most days of the week and explore new scenic routes while you're at it.
Yoga: Engage in a series of yoga poses called sun salutations. They not only promote flexibility and strength but also allow you to soak up some sun. Find a sun salutation sequence online or in a yoga book and include it in your daily routine.
This summer, make the most of the sunshine and elevate your vitamin D levels through enjoyable outdoor exercise. Whether it's walking, running, biking, or trying yoga poses, you can embrace an active lifestyle while reaping the benefits of the sun's rays.
Remember to consult your healthcare provider before starting any new exercise regimen, and always prioritize your safety and well-being. So, get outside, get moving, and let the sun boost your health and vitality!
- Gratitude - Key to a Positive Mindset
- Adopting a Holistic Wellness Approach to a Healthier You
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Exploring Superfoods: Nutrient-Packed Ingredients for a Healthy Diet
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Digital Detox: A Healthy You in a Hyperconnected World
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- Three Joyful Habits for a Healthier You in 2024
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- Staying Healthy During the Winter Months!
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?