Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
The cost of medical care continues to increase at a rapid pace. Learning how to manage your out-of-pocket healthcare costs is essential. One of the most significant expenses associated with healthcare is your health insurance premium.
You cannot control when you may require medical care. However, you do have choices when it comes to the type of health insurance plan you purchase. Keeping your health insurance affordable is possible by following the tips below.
Shop around – Health insurance plans are constantly changing. As insurance companies evaluate each plan's profitability, they adjust their premiums accordingly. This means the most affordable plan today may become the most expensive comparable option next year.
Consider an HMO – In an HMO, you are assigned a primary care physician who coordinates your care. Unlike a PPO where you may see any physician within the network, referrals are required to see a specialist in an HMO. This is how an HMO can reduce the cost of healthcare and monthly premiums.
Use a Health Savings Account – Also known as an HSA, these accounts allow you to deposit, grow, and withdraw money tax-free. HSA accounts can only be used with a high-deductible health plan which offers lower premiums.
Select a Higher Deductible and Coinsurance – The more you pay for your own care in the form of deductibles or coinsurance, the lower your premiums will be. This strategy commonly makes sense for individuals or families who do not expect to receive more than routine care throughout the year.
Your health insurance premiums are just one part of the total cost of healthcare. So one of the most critical steps to keep your health insurance affordable is to review your health insurance needs at every renewal opportunity.
As your needs change, so too should your health plan. Sometimes, a plan with fewer benefits will make more sense and lower your premium. But, conversely, there may be years when a more benefit-rich plan will save you money in the long run.
Working with an independent and licensed health insurance agent can help you shop the insurance marketplace and choose the best plan for your needs and budget.
- Gratitude - Key to a Positive Mindset
- Adopting a Holistic Wellness Approach to a Healthier You
- 3 Common Sense Things People Should Know
- Exploring Superfoods: Nutrient-Packed Ingredients for a Healthy Diet
- Unraveling the Mystery of the Extra Day
- Digital Detox: A Healthy You in a Hyperconnected World
- Financial Fitness in 2024: Budgeting and Saving Tips
- Three Joyful Habits for a Healthier You in 2024
- New Year's Resolutions: Staying Committed Year Round
- The Magic of Christmas Traditions
- Staying Healthy During the Winter Months!
- How to be a Time Management Whiz During this Busy Season
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?